Whatever happened to the seventh-day Sabbath?
“IF you love me, keep my commandments.”
Search the Scriptures! Can you find one passage that says…
- The Ten Commandments are abolished?
- The Fourth Commandment is abolished?
- The Sabbath was changed from the seventh to the first day of the week?
- That either Jesus or the apostles kept the first day as the Sabbath?
- That either Jesus or the apostles taught new believers to keep the first day of the week as the Sabbath of God?
- That it was customary for the early church to observe the first day of the week?
- That we are to keep the first day in honor of the resurrection of our Savior?
- That the first day of the week was sanctified and hallowed as a day of rest?
- That the first day of the week is called a holy day or given any sacred title?
Can you find one verse…
10. Where the first day of the week is called the Lord’s Day?
11. Where we are told not to work on the first day of the week?
12. Where any punishment is threatened for working on the first day?
13. Where any blessings are promised for observing the first day?
14. That says the Father or the Son rested on the first day of the week?
15. That says the seventh-day is no longer God’s Sabbath day?
16. That calls the seventh-day the “Jewish Sabbath” or that calls the first day the “Christian Sabbath”?
17. That authorizes anyone to set aside God’s Sabbath and observe any other day?
18. Where Jesus specifically said to stop keeping the Holy seventh-day Sabbath, even after He reappeared after His resurrection?
19. Where any of the apostles said “I don’t have to keep the Sabbath because Jesus is my rest”?
20. That suggests God was not serious when He spoke the Ten Commandments with His very own powerful voice?
21. That says the Sabbath was ever a burden or curse, or that it was flawed or imperfect?
22. Where we are told to do ALL our work in five (5) days?
On the other hand, the Bible clearly proclaims that…
1. The seventh-day, made Holy by God at Creation, is the Sabbath for ALL mankind (Gen. 2:2-3; Ex. 20:11; Mark 2:27).
2. Observance of the Sabbath was commanded in the Ten Commandments by the mighty voice of God Himself and written in stone by His own finger (Ex. 20:8-10; Deut. 5:12-15).
3. Jesus affirmed that the Sabbath was made for mankind and that He is Lord of it (Mark 2:27-28).
4. The apostles consistently observed the seventh-day Sabbath and upheld the Ten Commandments as expressing the will of God for His children (Acts 13:14-15, 44; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4. 11; Rom. 2:13, 21-22; 7:7-12, 22: James 2:8-12).
Throughout the centuries, dedicated followers of Jesus, redeemed by His precious blood, have shown their love for Him by observing the day made Holy by God at Creation.
How about you?
Do you personally and intimately know Jesus as your Savior, and as your Lord and Master? He said, “IF you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). Will you show your love for Him by observing the day He made Holy?
The content above is based on the original tract The Sabbath published by The Bible Sabbath Association. Fairview, OK.
“Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.”
“For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep MY Sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant“
“Also the sons of the stranger (foreigner), that join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, and, to be His servants, EVERYONE that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant“
“If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on MY Holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the Holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, NOT doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words, Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it!“
“And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall ALL flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.”
“There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.”
“So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.”
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English)